Detailed Weather Radio Reviews
Best Weather Radio - Ultimate Buying Guide
We all want to be updated, especially with regular weather reports. This is why many of us try to find the best weather radio that we can find in the market these days. Even though we are now living in the digital world, a good weather radio can definitely come in handy especially during emergency situations like severe weather conditions where the mobile phone signals can be down, or during a power outage. During these times, it will come to a point that our cell phones will not be able to update us real time. This is when a weather radio comes in!
How Does Weather Radio Work?
The best weather radio for home use might save your life! All weather radios are using the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio network. Remember that they do not manufacture weather radios, but they are the ones operating the transmitter network. This allows the manufacturers to use its name for qualified weather radios that are receiving its emergency broadcast signal.
The NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) are broadcasting warnings and information for various hazards which may include severe weather, technological, natural, and also national emergencies. All weather radios in the United States picks up the NMR signal but only those that are marked with the NOAA logo are officially tested by NOAA.
Being prepared is important. Aside from our emergency evacuation kits, we should always have a weather radio with us, especially if you are living in severe-weather prone areas. But if you are still in doubt whether to get one or not, here are some of the reasons why you should have a weather radio at all times:
Living In Areas Prone To Severe Weather.
Nobody knows what can possibly happen during bad weather. It is best to have a weather radio with you wherever you are from, especially if you are in a region that usually has hurricanes, severe storms, or tornados. Your weather radio might end up saving your life.
Prolonged Outages In Your Area Is Common.
There are still areas that experience common power outages and this is what you don’t want to happen during an emergency situation, especially if there is an impending weather event. If you have a weather radio, it can see you through these emergencies even though your power is out. If you have no electricity for days, most weather radios come with a hand-crank that can power it up. Some can even charge a cellphone which can be a huge benefit if you need to seek help.
Things To Consider When Buying Weather Radio
Before choosing the best weather radio to buy, remember that not all of these products are created equally. They may look similar to each other, but they usually do not function in the same way. Just like purchasing other products or gadgets, you have to be careful when choosing a weather radio. is is why it is very important that you know what you are looking for before purchasing the product. You need to make sure that it has the features that you need. Doing a little research about the products that interest you can be very useful.
Still, with the vast options to choose from in the market these days, it can still be difficult to choose only one. To help you make that important decision, here are some of the best features that a weather radio should have:
- Weather radios are specifically designed to serve as your handy weather forecast provider. However, other people use it also for its other features. Different designs come with different usage and applications so you need to determine if what specific features do you need from a weather radio before you go buy one.
- Public Alert Certification. If your weather radio is Public Alert certified, this means that it meets the voluntary standards that were developed in cooperation with the National Weather Service and also the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to ensure that the product is high-performing and is user-friendly too.
- Should Have the SAME Technology. Specific Alert Message Encoding (SAME) will let you program your weather radio to make it sound an alert if there are warnings that are specifically intended for your area. This is important because weather broadcasts usually cover a wide region and you might miss a warning for your location if you do not have this feature.
- This feature is very important for weather radios. The radio would be able to emit a very loud tone when there is an alert or warning received. This feature functions even when your weather radio is turned off.
- Alert Blocking (Selective). Sometimes when the alarm sounds, it can make you panic. But there is no need to feel this, especially during non-life-threatening weather events. You can turn it off using this feature so it will not wake you up at night for an emergency that is not that important.
- Power Sources. For your weather radio, you will always need a battery backup to make sure that your device will keep working even during a power outage. The best portable weather radio with same extra power sources such as a hand crank, car charger, or a solar panel that will make it easier for you to keep your weather radio running during these situations.
- Connection Type. When choosing a weather radio, you have two connection types to choose from – wired and wireless. Wired weather radios use wires to connect and supply power to the system. These devices are usually mounted and can take a bit of time to install. The wireless version is easier to install and it is more reliable especially during power outages.
Weather Radio vs An Emergency Radio. Before making your weather radio purchase, you should be aware that the weather radio and the emergency radio are different kinds of gadgets. A weather radio can warn you in advance during especially during severe weather. The emergency radio, on the other hand, is designed for you to see through the event especially if you the power is out. Unlike the weather radios, emergency radios usually do not have the SAME technology and they are not Public Alert certified. This is why they are not recommended as your source of weather alerts.
The Best Weather Radio Reviews
Midland ER210 – Emergency Compact Weather AM/FM Radio
When talking about getting ready for emergency situations, Midland is known to be a quality provider of weather radios. The Midland ER210 should be on top of your ‘must-haves.’ This is specifically built with various emergency situations in mind. It comes with a hand crank which makes this weather alert radio and flashlight the best gadget to have during severe weather situations. It can also be a handy tool for everyday use! With Midland ER210, you are prepared.
- Power Source. The Midland ER210 has three sustainable power source to make it easier for you to recharge your radio. You can charge through the Solar Panel, a Hand Crank, or using the rechargeable 2000 mAh battery.
- Solar Panel. Using this power source, you can simply recharge the internal lithium-ion battery with the help of a natural source, the direct sunlight.
- Hand Crank. This is by far the most convenient power source for a weather radio. You can recharge it anytime you need even during a power outage or when you are away from a power source.
- Rechargeable 2600 mAh Battery. This is a long life and fast rechargeable battery that can keep your weather radio running for up to 32 hours. This weather radio can also be powered using 6 “AA” batteries for backup power.
- NOAA Weather Scanner. This weather radio comes with an automatic scanner that can scar seven available weather band channels. It will then lock to the stronger weather channel and will alert you if there are severe weather updates. During severe weather conditions, this weather radio will alert you with its alarm to indicate that there is a high risk of severe weather in your location.
- Dog Whistle + AM/FM. During emergency situations, you can assist the search and rescue teams by helping them locate individuals using this dog whistle. Aside from that, this weather radio also has AM/FM radio capability.
- Can Charge Other Devices. If you are experiencing a power outage during emergency weather situations, keeping your cell phones or tablets charged is very important especially if you need to contact someone. This can also come in handy if you are not able to have access to a charging port when you need to.
RunningSnail Solar Crank NOAA Weather Radio
If you do not want to lose power or communication, then you need RunningSnail’s weather radio. This comes with an SOS alarm that is perfect for you to keep tabs on the weather conditions and other severe weather announcements. You can always pack this emergency solar charging weather radio for your cell phone on your emergency kit. According to RunningSnail, this weather radio will give you all of the emergency preparedness kit necessities that you will need anytime, anywhere!
- Emergency Preparedness. We always need to keep our homes prepared and we can do that if we have a ready AM/FM and NOAA weather alert radio. This is what the RunningSnail can give us. It broadcasts emergency weather alerts specifically for your location like hurricanes, severe storms, and also for tornadoes.
- Multiple Power Source. Aside from the hand crank for easy charging during a power outage, the RunningSnail weather radio can also be charged using the sun’s rays because of its solar panel charging feature. It also has a micro USB cable and can use three “AAA” batteries. The weather radio also comes with a port that can charge different USB port devices like your cell phone.
- Lamp And Flashlight. Nobody wants to be in the dark especially during emergency situations. You can now rest easy if you forgot to pack a flashlight because this weather radio can light up dark spaces if you are caught in an emergency or survival situation. This can also keep your room bright even if the storm cuts off your power source.
- Long Battery Life. This weather radio is built with a hand crank self-charge during a power outage. It has a 2000 mAh rechargeable battery that can provide you with up to 12 hours of light or 4 to 6 hours of radio time.
- SOS Alarm. If you need to ask for help during an emergency situation or warn somebody if there is approaching severe weather, this is what the RunningSnail weather radio is designed for. It comes with an SOS alarm and a flashing red light for this purpose.
Midland ER310, Emergency Weather AM/FM Radio
Like the Midland ER210, the ER310 weather radio is another device that you should have on your emergency kit. This is built with emergency situations in mind. This is the perfect gadget that you should have especially if you are living in a location that has common severe storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, and other harsh weather conditions. If you want to be prepared at all times, here are the key features that come with the Midland ER310.
- Different Power Sources. It comes with a long-lasting rechargeable 2600 mAh battery that can last up to 32 hours of radio operation. Midland ER310 has three sustainable power sources. A solar panel where you can recharge the internal lithium-ion battery with direct sunlight. You can also use the hand crank to recharge your weather radio even though you have a power outage or if you are away from the power source. The battery of this weather radio is rechargeable and replaceable. This can also be powered using 6 “AA” batteries as its backup power.
- SOS Flashlight Beacon. This can come in handy especially during emergency situations. It is built with an SOS flashlight beacon that can flash Morse codes. The bright CREE LED can be used if you need to make a signal for help. Just select the Low brightness setting so you can conserve battery life. Also, choose the High brightness setting for maximum illumination.
- NOAA Weather Scanner. With the weather scanner, it will go through the 7 major weather band channels to get the one that has the strongest signal and will lock to it. You will also receive weather updates and alerts during emergency situations. The NOAA weather alert will sound an alarm if there is a risk of severe weather in your location.
- Dog Whistle Feature. With this feature, it can assist you during a search and rescue operation to find individuals during an emergency situation. This can definitely come in handy during and after a weather disaster.
- Use As Portable Charger. The Midland ER310 can be used as a portable charger for other devices. So when you have a power outage or if you are away from a power source, you can use this weather radio to charge your mobile phone or tablets.
Epica Digital Emergency Weather Radio
During an emergency situation, the Epica Digital Crank Radio is one of the best gadgets that you should have. If you have this with you, you can always stay in touch with your friends and loved ones, and even seek help when needed. Epica Digital Emergency Weather Radio is the best in class when it comes to its charging capabilities, perfect for any emergency situation. In just a couple of minutes of cranking, it can give you at least 2 minutes of lights or access to the weather radio. In addition to that, here are more key features that come with this device:
- Readiness During Power Outage. On severe weather conditions, we always expect to experience a power outage, especially if this normally happens in your area. This is why you have to be ready when the lights go out. The Epica compact and lightweight radio include a 3-band radio that can give you access to the standard AM and FM broadcast and the NOAA VHF weather frequencies. This also comes with a 3-LED flashlight, a mobile phone charger, and also three ways for you to charge the device.
- Advanced Features. With the all-new Epica weather radio, you can now say goodbye to the analog station tuners and stop suffering from a weak and distorted signal. It is important to get the right station and the Epica digital tuner can do that for you. You can turn this on at night or during a power outage. Its simple backlight and also its digital liquid display will let you see everything without a problem.
- Compact Display. You always have to be ready at any time of the day. Remember that you do not know what the future holds. This is why Epica specifically designed a weather radio that you can easily carry on your large jacket pocket or maybe attach it to your belt with a carabiner clip.
- Easy To Use. Epica is a well-known brand that makes products that are user-friendly and can last for a long time. This is why according to handheld weather radio reviews, this is the most recommended if you are looking for a product that can make you feel that it’s worth what you paid for. The manufacturer also offers 100% refund or replacement if in any case, the product does not meet your needs.
iRonsnow IS-388 Real NOAA Alert Weather Radio
iRonsnow is a weather radio that has automatic NOAA alarm, which a real radio should have. Its NOAA alert alarm functions accurately and keeps you up to date during emergency situations r hazardous weather conditions. It has a wide range of reception that can receive AM, FM, SW1, SW2, and 7 NOAA weather channels that can provide you with news such as flood, tornado, thunderstorm, and so on. This is also the perfect weather radio to bring along during camping and out of town trips because it can function as an MP3 player. It is also ideal for home use, in the bedroom, car, hiking, etc.
- Entertainment Source. The iRonsnow weather radio supports Micro SD card and this is why it can work as a portable MP3 player. You will also have access to too many channels that you can listen to which is why this is perfect for any situation.
- Convenient And User-Friendly. You can now say goodbye to weather radios that are difficult to figure out. This device is very easy to use and it has a convenient handle which makes it handy anywhere you go.
- Multiple Power Sources. This weather radio is built with a 2300 mAh power bank for iPhone X, iPhone 8, 7, 7Plus, 6, 6 Plus, or 5s. It can also be charged using the micro USB port. During a power outage, this device can be very useful because it has a hand crank that you can use to recharge it, and also a solar panel. Aside from that, it has 3 backup AA battery.
- Siren + Reading Lamp + During emergency situations, you always want a device that you can use, the iRonsnow weather radio has a loud siren to alert your surroundings that you are in danger or there is still someone in your location. This weather radio can also be used as a reading lamp that can come in handy indoors and outdoors. Aside from all that, this is also built with a hand crank lantern with a brightness of 1 LED.
Midland WR120B Radios
If you check out weather alert radio reviews, Midland is one of the most trusted brands when it comes to weather radios. This device should be part of your list if you want to be prepared for emergency severe weather conditions any time of the day. If you reside in a location where you commonly experience tornados, typhoons, or even a very bad storm, then you need something that can keep you up-to-date about the recent development of your weather. Being prepared is a must, but you should also get a good weather radio at a reasonable price.
- Nobody wants a bulky weather radio, especially if you need to bring it anywhere you go. The Midland radios are not only the reliable and user-friendly, but they are also compact and easy to carry with you.
- Large LCD Display. When the lights are out and you need to get updates on severe weather conditions, having a weather radio with a large LCD display is much preferred by many people, especially the seniors.
- Thermometer + Freeze Alert. It is important that you have a reliable and trusted device that will not only give you weather updates but can also measure the temperature of the surroundings and give you freeze alert, especially during the dangerous winter months.
- Alert For All Hazards. According to portable weather radio reviews, the Midland WR120B does not only provide people with weather updates, but it even alerts everyone about a child abduction in the area. This is why a lot of people trust Midland for their high-quality products.
Eton Scorpion ll Portable Emergency Weather Radio
Scorpion II is one of the best weather radio devices manufactured by a trusted brand, Eton. This is a multi-purpose digital weather radio that comes with amazing and advanced features that you will seldom find with similar devices. It is built for rugged use with a crank power backup that can definitely come in handy during a power blackout, emergency situations or severe weather conditions. Here are more reasons why you should choose Scorpion II among the vast selection of weather radio in the market.
- AM, FM, and NOAA Channels. This user-friendly weather radio will give you access to plenty of channels which includes AM, FM, and major NOAA channels. This means that you will not only get important updates during severe weather conditions, but you can also use this as an AM/FM radio when going camping or travelling to a location that has no access to electrical power.
- NOAA Weather Alerts. It is important that if you are experiencing common severe weather that you are updated 24/7. You can only do this if you always have a weather radio with you. The Scorpion II has a digital tuner that can display precise tuning and clear reception.
- LED Flashlight And Portable Charger. During severe weather that can cause a power outage, you need to have an LED flashlight and Scorpion II can give you that with this weather radio. With Scorpion II, it is also built with 5V 1A USB output where you can charge your smartphone.
- Heavy-Duty Battery. The Scorpion II comes with a rechargeable 800mAh lithium battery that is proven to be long-lasting. If you are experiencing a power outage, this can be very useful because it has a battery indicator that will tell you just how much power you have left on the device.
Choosing the best weather radio should not be that difficult. That is possible if you know what you are looking for. Consider the options mentioned above with the factors that you have to consider. Make sure that you are choosing the weather radio that has all of the amazing features that you need. Remember that your choice will depend on your preference and your need in this device. Regardless of your final decision, a weather radio can definitely be very useful to you during emergency situations.